Thursday, July 10, 2008

Name stealing? (from Angie)

As many giddy couples do, my husband and I chose names for our offspring long before the little stick had ever turned blue. Our first son was to be named Cameron in honour of my brother whom we lost to cancer, and a daughter would be Danielle, simply because I thought it was pretty. When it came to choosing second names, my husband was also quite clear on what they should be. He wanted to pay homage to his NBA hero Michael Jordan, so our children’s names would be Cameron Michael or Danielle Jordan. Our son was born first. During my second pregnancy, we sat in church talking with friends after a Sunday morning service. They asked if we had picked out names for the baby, so we told them of our plans. Several months later we sat stunned as we listened to a birth announcement from the pulpit: “Congratulations to proud parents Bill & Mary on the birth of their son Daniel Jordan!” Only then did we put it together that this couple had occasionally sat in the pew in front of us. They must have liked the name we picked out so much, they decided to steal it!! When our beautiful daughter was born a short time later, we named her Danielle…Salome, after her fraternal great-grandmother. Now if that isn’t reason to keep your chosen baby names a secret, I don’t know what is!!

No comments: